[Healeys] SS bolt source

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 07:12:04 MST 2008

All -

"Brittleness in bolts is defined as failure at stresses apparently below the
strength of the bolt material with little or no evidence of plastic
deformation. Typically, fasteners are not brittle below 180 ksi ultimate
tensile strength. Grade 5's have an ultimate tensile strength of 120 ksi and
a grade 8 fastener has an ultimate tensile strength of 150 ksi. This is why
brittle is a relative term. Nearly all fasteners are considered ductile
except some made from PH 15-6 Mo, 17-4 PH and 17-7 PH. "

More:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/fasteners/index.asp

Generally you can't go wrong with a grade 8, unless it's made in China of
course....

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1