[Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 2, Issue 553

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 13:06:19 MDT 2008

In a message dated 8/31/08 1:56:57 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> Hi Gary-
>
> What I am referring to is the factory applied paint to areas such as the
> under sides of the shrouds, wings, dash, etc. where paint was applied as best as
> could be done in an upside down position. I wouldn't call it random, it's
> just a result of the difficulty of reaching certain areas with the spray of
> paint.
>
> I hope that answers the question that I raised.
>
> Tom

That makes sense; if you've got the chassis on a rotisserie, or are painting
panels off the car, there's no excuse to leave any part of the metal
unpainted. (We'll leave duplication of bad manufacturing techniques to the Corvette
Club Concours). There was a factory undercoating called "flintkote" which was
troweled on to the car over the primer in a few vulnerable places (boot floor,
interior floors) and was then painted over -- a practice which may have started
with the 3000s -- but nothing more than that. I was wondering which you were
referring to, and hoping it wasn't one of those black gummy oversprays that
were usually applied by dealers making an extra buck.

Cheers
Gary