[Healeys] 100 M sells for $159,000

gardner5 at comcast.net gardner5 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 10:08:58 MDT 2008

If you follow the market or check the SCM data base, you'll see that this is close to an average price for a factory M.  Bill Meade, of the 100M Registry, and myself co-authored a piece for Sports Car Market a few months back in which Bill, who closely follows the market as well, wrote that nice 100M's are bringing approx. $185K.  If you figure $159K plus the buyer's premium, then we're right in the ballpark.  This adds to the data we used at the time which was based on both auction and private party results.

When someone gets a bit surprised about this kind of money, I think a good way to put things in perspective is to compare the 100M to the Porsche Speedster.  Both have great looks (personally I like the Healey better), similar performance/driving experience, and are from the same era...Porsche made 4,144 between 1954 to 1958 with a projected survival rate of 35% this leaves about 1,400.  We know that less than 150 factory M's are out there, so this makes the Healey more rare.  Currently, a decent Speedster goes for approx. $200K and you can find them all day long.  Finding the Healey is more difficult.

The reality is that the factory M has become desirable and the market price is set by what someone is willing to pay, which is just what you see in the sell above.

Joel Gardner