[Healeys] Rotors - it happened ....

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 28 14:51:07 MDT 2008

Gents:

David is right - it's been my experience that rotor to cap clearance has
been a problem when electronic ignitions are used, but not always.  It seems
to depend on what clearance was in the distributor initially - the placement
(height) of the distributor shaft in the body can vary a bit from unit to
unit.  Re-bushed distributors are suspect, as the shaft might be sitting a
few thou higher in the body, and the placement of the magnet signal wheel
(or slotted wheel) under the rotor raises the rotor just enough to cause
clearance problems in some distributors.

I would be very leery of modifying any rotor - if it's ground down in any
manner, you are reducing the distance between the metal part of the rotor
and the top of the dist. shaft on which it mounts - not a good idea at all,
given the rotor problems that have existed.

What I have done (and I recommend) is to grind a bit off the centre tower in
the cap - not much will be needed.  This should be done with the carbon
'button' and spring removed for obvious reasons.  The only downside - if you
are carrying a spare dist. cap in the boot (don't we all do that?), it will
have to be similarly modified.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb