[Healeys] Leo Long (Victoria British)

Warthodson at aol.com Warthodson at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 16:11:04 MDT 2008

Some of you may have know Leo Long, owner of Victoria British. From the
Kansas City Star:     Leo William Long, 67, of Lenexa KS passed away  Tuesday,
August 19, 2008, at his home. Private funeral services were held  at Mount
Moriah
& Freeman Funeral Home. He was born May 6, 1941. He  was raised by his
maternal uncle and aunt, Lester and Loretta Long. A long  time area resident,
he
attended Hale Cook Elementary and Southwest High  school. As a Boy Scout, Leo
earned his Eagle Scout, God and Country. He  enlisted in the Marine Corps in
1961
and was honorably discharged in 1967.  He completed his undergraduate studies
at the University of Kansas in  1968, with a Bachelor of Science, Business
Administration. From the early  60's through 1975 he worked as a mechanical
engineer for two firms in the  Kansas City area becoming a chief engineer.
Always
involved with cars as a  hobby, he went into business selling car parts in
1975. Located at 18th  & Oak, in Kansas City, this business went broke in 1979
and he lost  everything. He started over in 1981b&his present business Long
Motor
 Corporation, dba. Victoria British Ltd., LMC Truck and Black Dragon. Leo
served on many boards of directors, including Brotherhood Bank, Citizens
Bank,
Derrick Thomas 3rd & Long Foundation, El Centro Community  Centers, Guadalupe
Community Centers and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.  He was also involved
in numerous civic endeavors, including the Asian  American Chamber of
Commerce. He sponsored Boy Scout Troop #106 on the  city's Westside, the
Jarrette
Aycock Society KCRM, and the Silver Gloves  National Championships. He funded
the
Leo William Long Graduate  Scholarship Program for 6 years, donated the
funding for the Fort Long  Campsite at the H. Roe Bartle Boy Scout
Reservation, and
paid for the  construction of the Leo William Long Sports Center in
Kanchanaburi,  Thailand - a country he visited regularly in his business
travels - to
provide recreational facilities for underprivileged school children. He
received the Whitney M. Young Jr. Service Award from the Boy Scouts of
America, In
addition, he assisted many private individuals & employees  in the greater KC
area when they encountered hard times or needed a  helping hand. Other civic
awards & citations he received are too  numerous to list. Leo recently
completed a company history. In his own  words, "I have turned my dreams into
an
entrepreneurial success. I am only  as strong as my people and as successful
as my
customers continued  satisfaction. I am extremely proud of what has been
created and accept  that growth is elemental to the future of LMC."  Leo
William
Long was  honest and ethical. His success was achieved the old fashioned way:
he
 earned it. He is survived by his wife Janet, daughter Morgan Stanton and
granddaughter Sierra  Stanton.

deal here.