[Healeys] ignition miss

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 22:14:20 MDT 2008

Eric -

I have found that almost always when you have "missing" under acceleration
or higher RPMs when you start accelerating that it is typically a fuel
delivery problem.  Common culprits are rust in the tank that fouls up the
fuel filters or fuel pump.  Also, if you have fiddled with the fuel tank
recently (maybe etched and coated it?) that can also be a contributor.  A
fuel pump that is failing can also cause this problem.

If there is a fuel filter on the fuel line, try replacing that first with a
new, clean filter.

An easy diagnosis is when the car starts "missing" immediately switch off
the ignition and coast to a stop on the side of the road.  Pull off the top
of the float chambers on the SU carbs - if the float chambers are half empty
or dry, this is your problem.

Last but not least you should always replace the dizzy rotor!

Alan