[Healeys] (no subject)alternator

Brits'n'Pieces (Eric Frenken) lists at brits-n-pieces.com
Wed Aug 20 10:44:01 MDT 2008

John, I don't know what you mean. Maybe because English is not my native
tongue.

All electrical consumers in a car are fed by the battery. I've seen no
consumer fed by the alternator directly. Of course the battery is fed by the
alternator, so the alternator feeds all consumers indirectly via the
battery. I'm not sure about modern cars, but I know for quite sure that this
is the way the electrical charging system works in our AHs.

As you say, if you replace the original cable between alternator and battery
(after upgrading to a 50 amp alternator) with a 50 amp cable, everything is
fine. Maybe this is what you said and I didn't get it right. At least this
is what I wanted to say.

Best regards

Eric

I wonder if we are missing a point here. On a modern car the output from the
alternator not only charges the battery when this is necessary but also
drives all sorts of other electric equipment such as power steering, heated
seats, fast warm up heater, entertainment units etc.

As you say a C45 or C42 has limited output but if an alternator is
substituted and extra lights are fitted it will be able to supply the light
AND charge the battery at a good rate if it is low. In this case a thicker
wire from the alternator is advisable. A 50 amp alternator and a 50 amp wire
should be adequate for one of our cars because it would feed all the
equipment  and charge the battery at the maximum permissible rate if this
were in a low state,

Regards

--
John Harper