[Healeys] (no subject)alternator

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 07:39:08 MDT 2008

Not unless the alternator is overcharging.  The current flow to the
battery is determined by the voltage of the source and the internal
resistance of the battery (i.e. E=I*R, or I=E/R).  In other words, a
battery in a given state of charge will sink the same current from a
generator producing a nominal charging voltage (e.g. 13.8V) as from an
alternator producing the same voltage.   If the internal resistance of
your battery is low enough--close to a dead short--a generator can
produce enough current to fry the charging wire.   Remember also that
the battery has to supply enough power to excite the field coils
(generator) or armature (alternator) to provide current in the first
place, so a battery near a dead short will a) not start the car in the
first place and b) not supply enough juice to keep it running.  If you
jump a car with a dead short battery from another car or battery, the
500+ amps available will fry a pretty large cable (check how hot the
cable to the starter gets after only a few seconds of fruitless cranking).

An alternator or generator isn't meant to be a current-limiting device
(unless it's Lucas ;).  That is accomplished by the total load of all
your electrical devices or, in a pinch, a fuse, fusible link or circuit
breaker.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net