[Healeys] Paul Newman at Lime Rock

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 18:35:07 MDT 2008

The guy is a rare combination of being extremely talented, successful, and
grounded.

Everybody probably knows about his acting career, most on this list probably
know about his racing  accomplishments (4 SCCA D production championships,
2nd at Le Mans)  late in life (for a racing driver), in addition he staying
married to his wife for 50 years and lastly he has done some great charity
work as outlined below from this website:
http://www.leninimports.com/paul_newman.html

"1982 saw him start up the Newman's Own brand, selling pasta sauces,
microwaveable popcorn and the like. All profits were to go to charity,
particularly the Hole In The Wall Camp (the Hole In The Wall Gang being
Butch Cassidy's crew). This was a summer camp in Ashford, Connecticut, for
kids with cancer, AIDS and other blood-related diseases. Julia Roberts would
later join the board. In the autumns, inner-city kids would attend on the
Discovery programme. Incredibly, Newman's Own would be an outrageous
success, launching an organic line run by Paul's daughter and, by 2002,
donating over $125 million to charity. Ever-humble, Newman joked that "The
embarrassing thing is that my salad dressing is now out-grossing my films".
When asked about his philanthropy, he simply stated "You can only put so
much stuff in your closet". "

And the SOB got better looking as he got older.

Sets a fine example for all of us.

Greg Lemon