[Healeys] fix for door not closing properly with weather strip installed

INSIDEDIM at aol.com INSIDEDIM at aol.com
Sun Aug 17 13:24:39 MDT 2008

A week or so ago I appealed to the forum for advice on a door that wouldn't
close properly with the weather strip installed and never got an answer that
would solve my problem.  Someone mentioned closing the door and hope that  the
rubber would compress over time and stay compressed.  Someone else made  a
new door panel using 1/8" door skin material to gain some  extra room.

After about 5 sessions of trying to adjust the hinges and strike to no
avail, I finally found the solution.  My predicament was more than likely  out of
the ordinary as the replacement inner sill may have been welded out a  little
to far to accommodate both the aluminum kick plate and the weather  strip.  Or
maybe it was the new outriggers?  Maybe the new hinge and  strike pillars?
Anyway . . . my door was flush with the front fender but  stuck out from the
rear fender.  Today I removed the strike plate and the  aluminum trim piece
behind it, unbolted the fender from below, drilled out the  rivets, moved the
leading edge of the rear fender out to line up with the door,  re-drilled and
re-riveted the fender in the new position and now I'm a very  happy camper.  Simple
solution - no damaged paint - looks perfect!

Hope this helps others who may have the same problem.

Bill
64 BJ8

Read reviews on AOL Autos.