[Healeys] SR.37

Joe and Lenore Armour sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Sat Aug 16 21:08:01 MDT 2008

Part 2 and we have all looked at Bill Emerson's Healey Book. In 1970
when the SR.37 chassis was converted to an open roadster it was
re-identified as XR.37.  The now redundant coupe roof,windscreen and
rear body panels were stored as Geoff Healey had plans to create a road
based GT.40 type road car. These panels eventually were purchased by an
Australian party See Bill Emerson's book p.217. I knew the photographer
who had taken these pictures in UK many years ago and suggesteed them to
Bill as a means of clarifing the question of how many chassis existed.
The top of the two smaller photos shows some 'new old spares' that Geoff
Healey had made and kept. The redundant panels,windscreen and some
superseded brake components etc were part of the package of ORIGINAL
HEALEY COMPONENTS that were used to re-construct the 1968/69 BRG Coupe.
The white SR.37 was purchased by Robert Harrison direct from Healeys. I
sat in the Sydney AH Club meeting back in 1970 when Robert sought ideas
as to how to raise the finances to have Geoff Healey re-enter the SR.37
at LeMans in 1971. This did not happen and Robert had the car shipped to
Sydney to join his black BJ.8 that was the last official Healey imported
to Australia. I had as a 17 year old tried to finance the purchase the
BJ.8 before Robert got it. Bank manager was not helpful.
Joe