[Healeys] Cleaning out cooling system

Al Fuller al at bighealey.org
Wed Aug 13 15:43:18 MDT 2008

Jorge:

I used the vinegar method of cleaning out the cooling system just a couple
of weeks ago on my '62 BT-7, which gets up to about 212 degrees in
stop-and-go traffic with ambient temperatures in the 75-85 degree range...

Since you asked, here is what I did and the results:

After draining the cooling system, I flushed it out with water a couple of
times.  I then added 1.5 gallons of distilled white vinegar and topped it
off with distilled water (from a 5 gallon bottle sourced from Home Depot).

I ran the water vinegar mix in the car at idle for about 90 minutes, then
drained.  Upon draining, I could see some scale was being flushed out - but
not a whole lot (and not as much as I would have expected).  At best, the
water coming out was "cloudy" but not "milky" or "chunky", as others have
reported.  I then flushed the engine with distilled water a couple of times,
and refilled with coolant.

I can't say that the car runs much cooler than before, but then again I
haven't driven it much, either...

I hope hearing about a first-hand experience helps.

Al

Al Fuller
Fuller Compliance, LLC

Quality Systems Consulting
Software Quality, Validation + 21 CFR Part  11

714.335.0248
 www.fullercompliance.com