[Healeys] Autosounds and iPods

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Tue Apr 29 10:58:24 MDT 2008

In a message dated 4/29/08 8:46:34 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> Hi Ladies and Gents - I had a classic Autosounds Radio in my Healey. Looked
> semi-vintage sitting on my parcel shelf, but it crapped out. Now I'm
> thinking, why not upgrade? I'm thinking about something more modern - an am-fm
> receiver with an iPod port. But, to hide its modern appearance for shows and to
> prevent theft, I'd like to be able to remove/re-install it easily, have it
> capable of sliding way back, out of site, or maybe even have it live in the boot.

Why not keep the old radio in the car and think creatively about how to
install a modern sound system with radio and/or iPod inside the case of the old
radio... Those old package tray radios are rarely seen (I've seen one in my
entire Healey career) so keeping it in the car would be great. Proper speakers
could easily be mounted out of sight in the upper portion of the footwells. Then
for shows all you need to do is plug in some Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper on
the iPod and transport folks back to when the car was new.

Cheers
gary