[Healeys] 100 gas tank

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 27 20:00:47 MDT 2008

Gary, Was your gas tank brand new, or a good original tank?  Because, this
sounds like a similar situation that I had some years back. I resurrected a
1954 Jaguar MK 7 and began driving it. It had sat for many many years. The
gasoline that we were then getting at the pump was "oxygenated", which meant
that it had about 10% ethanal. This was all very new to we car guys (with old
cars) and odd things started happening. In my case it turned out the the
ethanol in the gas broke down the glaze, or whatever you call it, that was
coating the inside of my tanks (MK 7s have a tank on each side). It looked
like a very fine rust and it kept plugging my fuel filters on a regular basis.
Eventually it all dissolved off of the inside of my tanks and everything then
worked fine.  Richard Mayor

  > From: Warthodson at aol.com> Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:18:22 -0400> To:
healeys at autox.team.net> Subject: [Healeys] 100 gas tank> > This weekend we
discovered the float bowls on a friend's BN1 filled with > approx. 1/2" of
very fine rust, high enough to be blocking the passage into the > carbs. The
car was restored 7 years ago & the gas tank was replaced at that > time. Upon
examination, the inside surface of the tank was covered with rust. > He is
considering an aluminum replacement tank & is interested in knowing > which
suppliers have tanks the fit well, have the correct fuel line fitting & if >
there are any other issues he should know about. > Thanks,> Gary Hodson> > > >
**************Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car >
listings at AOL Autos. >
(http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)>