[Healeys] Filter(s) for Spin-on adapter AND Moss spin-on adaptor failure

Awgertoo at aol.com Awgertoo at aol.com
Sat Apr 26 15:11:30 MDT 2008

Gary--

I use the K&N 2009 filter on all my cars.

Today I started up the rebuilt MGA engine for the Elva--a friend  was
checking and setting the timing as I sat in the car keeping the revs  steady--all of
a sudden the OP light came on and I shut down instantly.   The brass adaptor
bolt which is part of the Moss spin-on oil filter kit sheared  at its small
diameter, blowing off the filter and spraying oil everywhere.

When I installed the part I choked up on the ratchet handle  so I would not
apply too much torque.  Nevertheless it came  apart--Moss is sending a
replacement but that might have been at least a  mess for cars behind me and at most a
blown engine had it happened on the  track.  I am writing them to suggest
that they have the part  machined out of steel rather than brass.

Best--Michael

In a message dated 4/26/2008 2:33:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,