[Healeys] No Reversing Us Now

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Wed Apr 16 16:16:33 MDT 2008

Hi Carlos,
Almost invariably when a Healey will not reverse the overdrive is at fault.
You need to ensure absolutely that the overdrive is not engaged. The best
trick to determine this is to electrically, or manually, engage and then
disengage the overdrive several times to exhaust any oil pressure in the
overdrive accumulator. The same thing can often be achieved by leaving the
car sits overnight.
If the car will back up normally when you are sure there is no pressure
remaining in the overdrive unit then at least you know that the overdrive is
at fault.
Once you have finished the diagnosis we can start looking for the cause!!

Michael Salter
100 (1953)
AHX12 (1953)
Bugeye (1961)