[Healeys] No Reversing Us Now

Carlos Cruz healey3000bn7 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 15:37:39 MDT 2008

Good afternoon Fellow Listers,

  I was out on a tour this past weekend and experienced some problems with reverse gear.  After engaging reverse and easing my foot off the clutch, the engine would rev but that car wouldn't go anywhere (or barely crawled backwards).   Not once during that trip did the car reverse as it should have.  After about 10 or 15 seconds with the RPMs elevated did the car begin to move, although slowly, backwards.  Any suggestions on what I should check first?

  Here's some other helpful information:  Yes, the car was all the way in gear. There is 20/50 in the transmission and was changed last fall.  OD was not engaged (and doesn't presently work).  The transmission and OD were rebuilt about 5K miles ago.  The OD has all new sunwheel and planetary gears.  The transmission has new forks and a new laygear.  The transmission was working fine three weeks ago.

  As always, I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

  Cheers,
  Carlos Cruz