[Healeys] Restoration Estimation Calculator

J. Scott Morris jstmorris at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 17:06:14 MDT 2008

Hi Jody;

  I am somewhat late in responding; just got my computer back from the 'fix it' shop. :-)

  Anyway, back in 1995 I put a copy of the Austin Healey 3000 MkII "Schedule of Repair Times"  into a spread sheet.  I was then was able to use the current shop rates and estimates based on condition of the car and my own capabilities [skill, time, funds and passion level] to establish a guess-estimate of the costs required.  A pdf file of the basic "Schedule of Repair Times" is attached.  It can also be found on John Sims website  ( http://www.healey6.com/technical.htm scroll down to Miscellaneous and download the "Schedule of Repair Times" )    I developed another spread sheet to compare purchases from various suppliers of parts.  It includes considerations for taxes, shipping and handling charges along with exchange rates.

  A lot of gurus and restorers think this is all a waste of time, but to get a handle on what it may take to restore a car is critical; most households work off of some kind of budget.   It is my opinion that not doing so is a major factor that results in a lot of the basket cases and barn finds that are litered all over the place.  In fact, to some, I have one in my own garage. :-)

  It will be interesting to see your finished product.

  --Scott Morris; Simcoe, Ontario, Canada; '60 3000 MkI BN7 & '62 3000 MkII BT7

Jody Kerr <jodyfkerr at gmail.com> wrote: << Hey folks, I keep getting questions along the lines of, "how much does it cost to restore a car?"  And, as we all know that answer is totally impossible to answer other than, "it takes more than you've got" or "more than it would to just buy a nice restoration"

I've gotten frustrated with all that, and I'm working on an excel spreadsheet that ballparks how much it'll cost.  Anyone interested in double checking my spreadheet maths to estimate the accurace of my model?

Since the lists strip attachments, send me an email and I'll send it to you directly. Mind you, you obviously need to have Excel on your computer to open the file. >>

J. Scott Morris - Keep Smiling, Murphy Lives

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of Sched of Repair Times.pdf]