[Healeys] Healey Color Shades

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 13:12:16 MDT 2008

In a message dated 4/14/08 9:10:46 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> So, a rose by any other name is still a rose and for Healeys BRG in any
> shade is still BRG. Or OEW or Healey Blue or MGB or...
> So much for "correct". What does this do for concours guidelines?
>
> Bob Johnson
> BJ8 that is some shade of BRG
>
> >   Geoff. Healey told me .." When we ran out of paint
> > we ordered it from any supplier who had a 55 gallon
> > drum in stock , so Healey colours are not ALL THE SAME
> > "  Hope this answers your question about correct
> > colours ... Norma Nock

I've often heard this statement attributed to Geoff, and have no doubt that
he might have said it, but it is worth keeping in mind that the "we" he refers
to, which I assume means the Donald Healey Motor Company at Warwick didn't
paint cars during the production process. They were painted at Jensen's and,
though one can wonder about their quality control, one can assume that the ICI
paints Jensens used were pretty much mixed to the same formula.
On the other hand, the engines were painted at the engine factory, and
judging by the quality of that paint, the only intention was to keep them from
rusting while they sat on the loading dock waiting to be trucked over to the
assembly line at Longbridge or Abingdon.
It wouldn't be surprising to hear that the engine paint was stretched when
necessary by mixing in white paint, since those colors weren't really intended
to be a cosmetic part of the car. As a result, in judging cars, the Concours
Committee doesn't worry as much about the correct shade of engine paint as
they
do about the correct shade of body colors.

Cheers
Gary