[Healeys] Fw: Color poll please

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 11 17:57:41 MDT 2008

Rick:

(Second try - the list cops got me for too big a message.)

I have owned a GBM BJ8 - #42845 - for 27 years.  It is currently under a
complete restoration and has been painted, wet sanded, buffed, etc, but is
not yet fully assembled.  After driving it all that time, we contemplated a
colour change (my wife likes OEW with blue trim on a BJ8), but finally both
decided to go with GBM for various reasons, mainly that we both like it and
felt that it would be a bit of a shame to change an original GBM car - as
more than one lister has emphatically stated!

It's a tough colour to photograph for sure - same as the 'Healey' blue
colour.  It can also be a tough colour to replicate - every painter has a
slightly different idea, every paint manufacturer a slightly different
finished colour.  The key seems to be the flake used in the paint - it is an
extemely fine aluminum flake that not everyone gets right.  I have seen a
couple of GBM BJ8's wearing their original paint - one of the
characteristics of the original colour is that it looks quite 'goldy' in
some lights, but looks almost silver in other light.  I believe that we have
acheived that with my re-paint.  I don't know how accurate the finished
colour is, but my wife and I both liked it, so we went with it.  Our painter
sprayed plenty of samples (inside of bonnet, inside of boot lid before he
went ahead - made us take them home and look at them in all kinds of light
conditions).  He wanted us to be very sure - didn't 'want to have to paint
it again'.

'Ugly' or not is really in the eye of the beholder - we have always liked
our gold Healey very much.  If I can help (with the formula that was used on
my car), or with photos of the body panels, let me know - but remember that
photos can be deceptive.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb