[Healeys] Sticky Valve/guide/ spring question 100

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 21:28:10 MDT 2008

Hi -

The head and motor for my A90 is running and back together.  The motor
is identical to the BN1 and BN2 except it only uses one valve spring.

Anyway, we replaced the inlet valves while it was all apart but the
guides were fine.  Put it all back together with the only change
putting top hat seals on the valve.  We replaced the exhaust guides &
valves and have no problems with them.

The problem:  the car runs fine and warms up fine, but after running,
stop the engine, then let the whole business cool down, the inlet
valves will stick open (we think only the ones that are down when the
engine is switched off).  A little tapping with a mallot and they are
free.

Is it being caused by:

1) The top hat seals not allowing enough lubrication?  Shall I remove
them and just use the o rings?

2) The old single valve springs aren't strong enough shall I put 3000
double valve springs on them?

3) Should I replace the inlet guides too (I'd rather not take the head
off again).

Help!

Alan

--