[Healeys] cold starting

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Wed Apr 9 07:55:46 MDT 2008

Hi Carl,
In my experience difficult cold starting on BJ8s is usually caused by a
failure of the choke mechanism to fully activate the chokes on the carbs.
First check that the fast idle rod is moving down as the choke is pulled.
If it is not then it is possibly seized in the carb body and therefore
limiting the available choke travel. This must be corrected before
attempting the following.
Next I would suggest that you pull the choke control all the way out then
take the suction chambers off the carbs. Watch the position of the jet as
you pull up on the choke cables at each carb.
If the jet drops further as the cable is pulled then the mechanism is not
applying choke fully.
Another method is to try starting the engine on a cold morning as someone
pulls up on each of those choke cables at the carbs.
Very often incorrect assembly and adjustment of the cable splitter on the
firewall is to blame.

Michael Salter
100 (1953)
AHX12 (1953)