[Healeys] overdrive oil pump question

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Sat Sep 29 06:06:24 MDT 2007

Hi George,
As I recall the pump housing is usually very tight in the housing. I have
the factory tool for removing it and it is a very robust piece of equipment
which is illustrated in the back of the Workshop Manual tool #18G183.
Also refitting the pump body is quite a chore as the screw holes must line
up, hence the replacer illustrated below the remover.
It is very unlikely that a pump body fault is the cause of your lack of
pressure as I have never known of one to be defective.
Sometimes the pump piston is damaged during the gearbox to overdrive
installation and this prevents the pump spring from pushing it down to
maintain contact with the cam.
If you do decide to remove the pump body be very careful. I have seen
several overdrive casings ruined as a result of this operation being
performed incorrectly!!

Michael Salter
100S (1955)
3000 Mk111(1965)