[Healeys] True Friday Funny:Nuts

Bob Johnson robert.w.johnson at charter.net
Fri Sep 28 13:45:09 MDT 2007

Yesterday my wife and I were out and about in her 1995 Camry (the car that I
wish she would trade.)  Had lunch and then decided to go up the road a bit to
a different shopping center.  As we went up the interstate, we noticed a
burning smell.  We were behind a large truck and the smell was like that of
wood smoke.  Looked at car gauges but didn't see anything out of order and car
was handling fine so decided it must be the truck or wondered that even with
our serious drought situation here in NC that maybe some nut had an outside
wood fire disregarding the  drought or even worse, a forest fire.

Got off highway, smell seemed to abate.  Quit worrying, stopped and shopped.

On way home, about 10 miles, we again were in crawling traffic and again
noticed our wood burning smell.  Dash looked fine, car was handling fine, but
we decided to pull off to investigate further.  As we pulled off we noticed
smoke coming out from the area of the right front wheel area and  from the
hood area over that.  Opened the hood....I stepped back wondering if she was
going to get a new car out of this.

The hood opened and sure enough, we had lots of smoke and there in an area
between the exhaust manifold and the engine block  there were smoking, red
glowing, spherical objects with a mighty smell.  On further investigation,
these objects were found to be acorns!  Apparently a squirrel or rat or
something was storing their winter supply there.  I've never smelled chestnuts
roasting on a open fire, but let me assure you acorns stink!

Unfortunately, we seem to be getting the stink out. Damn, she still won't
trade.

Bob Johnson
BJ8