[Healeys] playing detective

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Fri Sep 28 08:45:55 MDT 2007

Hi James,
As you have probably concluded "something just does not add up here". If the
piston seal, valve seal and gasket are all good there is no where else for
the compression to leak.
I would have to agree with the others that the issue has to be valves. If
you are using bronze guides, and you have run the engine I would recommend
that you read this. http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=384
I have some questions,
1. Did the engine actually run after assembly and before you did the
compression test?
2. Did you actually check for valve clearance at the same time that you did
the compression test?
3. Are you absolutely sure that there was not something inside the ports of
#1 cylinder.
I had a similar issue on a TR6 many years ago when a nut had made its way
into the intake. Sometimes it would just hold the valve open others it would
allow it to close. It wasn't small enough to go through the valve opening
and it fell out of the port as the head was being turned on its side after
removal. Of course nobody had any idea where the nut had come from!!!

Michael Salter
100S (1955)
3000 Mk111(1965)
100 (1953)