[Healeys] playing detective

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Thu Sep 27 22:44:48 MDT 2007

OK, I'll bite, cracked piston ring on installation?? can you test by holding
something flat and slightly larger than the cylinder against the top of the
block while turning the motor on the starter, compare the suction and push
you get with the other cylinders.

I don't know if a cracked ring gets you to zero, I would think it would just
lower compression.

Pushrod not properly seated in a lifter hence valve motion not appropriate??
(probably would have noticed when adjusting the valves)

Sticking valve?  Valve guide pushed in too far (probably not if valves are
sealing properly when the head is not installed.)

Did you turn the motor over either by starter or hand when the head was on
and valve cover off to see if the valves were all moving as they should at
least to the eye?

Good Luck

Greg Lemon
54 BN1