[Healeys] playing detective

James Shope healeymanjim at hansencc.net
Thu Sep 27 21:15:19 MDT 2007

my friends bj8 started running rough a while back. we were going to do a
tuneup but a compression check showed only 60 psi in #6.  machine shop found a
crack and pinned it, plus all new valves, hardened seats, and new guides. new
rings and bearing were also put in.  after reassembly, all cylinders but #1
had 125-130 psi.  1 had no compression. after checking everything we could,
off came the head again.  nothing is wrong!!  the valves look perfect and held
solvent for over an hour with nothing coming out of the ports.  the cylinder
held solvent until we wiped it out.  the gasket looks perfect.  we took valves
out and checked them and they appear absolutely perfect.  what else can it be.
#1 was fine before going to shop and appears perfect now.  anyone ever had
anything like this happen?  now is your chance to be a columbo or dirty harry.
do your duty and send a clue.   healeymanjim

1