[Healeys] tips on overdrive use

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun Sep 23 14:38:13 MDT 2007

Greg, sorry, but I don't think that is correct.  The throttle switch does
NOT prevent the O/D from engaging, regardless of the position of the
accelerator.  It merely prevents the overdrive from being disengaged
immediately when the dash switch is turned off unless you have your foot on
the gas.

The throttle switch provides an alternative electrical path to keep the
overdrive relay coil energized independent of the dash switch, once the
relay coil is energized.
Whether the throttle switch is open or closed, when the dash switch is
selected to O/DRIVE the relay coil is energized.  If the gearshift is in 3rd
or 4th, the solenoid will be powered to operate the overdrive and does not
wait for the throttle switch to do anything.

Although I can't put my hand on the reference, somewhere I read that the
overdrive is designed to take the full torque of the engine.  But I prefer
to drive my car for maximum longevity and not maximum performance, so I tend
to take it easy on the overdrive -- backing off slightly on the gas just as
the overdrive is kicking in.  I use it more for increasing gas mileage and
reducing engine wear on long trips, rather than as an additional gear to
help beat the minivans away from the lights.

Cheers!
Steve