[Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 1, Issue 187

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 11:41:25 MDT 2007

In a message dated 9/17/07 10:25:15 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> I am going to put my SU fuel pump, now rebuilt and ticking merrily away on
> the test bed I made, back on.
>
> I currently have a facet newer style with the black plastic body. I think I
> may leave that pump in line with a switch to turn it on as a back up.  My
> only question is should I put it in between the SU pump and carbs, or SU
> pump and tank, only advantage I can think of is that if it is between pump
> and tank if the SU fails the  back-up will be primed, vs. it likely being
> dry if I were to put it in line after the SU.  Don't know if it is better
> push or pull gas through the back up pump?  Or doesn't matter.
>
> Any thoughts or advice appreciated.  I am also considering just throwing
the
> spare in the trunk with some rubber hose so it can be installed if needed
> (usually when I have a spare in the trunk the old part suddenly becomes
more
> reliable!)
>
> Greg Lemon

Greg,
In the Sept/Oct issue of Austin-Healey Magazine now in the mail, we discuss
several different ways to fail-safe your fuel pump. The consensus
recommendation is that a second fuel pump, mounted IN PARALLEL with the main
fuel pump,
with a control switch, is the very best set-up. Our experts noted that while a
flow-through pump can be mounted in series with the SU pump, there are some
types of fuel pump failure where an inline pump won't work, so the
recommendation
was to make the one additional cut in the fuel line, and pipe in the
additional pump in parallel. There's very little difference in the
installation (same
wiring, same fasteners and mountings) and then you've averted one possible
type
of failure.)
Gary
Gary