[Healeys] Voltage Regulator Problems

John Harper AH at jharper.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 15 10:04:11 MDT 2007

Rich

I find it hard to get away from the fact that your generator is
producing voltage in the opposite polarity to the battery. Perhaps you
have a generator that stubbornly resists having its polarity reversed.

I assume that you are using a 12 volt indicator lamp and that this is
corrected wired and that no earths are missing.

If so, may I suggest a simple experiment but this will entail using a
test meter capable of reading up to 12 volts and with a clear indication
of polarity.

Disconnect both leads to the generator. Have a wire connected to the non
chassis side of the battery ready to connect to the generator 'F'
terminal.

Connect your meter to the chassis and the other side to the battery and
note the polarity. Then transfer this meter lead to the generator 'D'
terminal.

Now connect the flying wire to the 'F' terminal and start the engine but
DON'T rev up. There might be a slight spark when you connect this lead
but don't worry. All you are doing here is creating a field current in
the generator in the correct polarity ready for the generator to produce
current when it starts turning.

Slowly increase the engine revs and watch the meter. It should rise
slowly but most important in the same polarity as the earlier battery
reading. If the polarity is the same slowly increase the engine revs
until you get somewhere between 12 volts and 15 volts. DON'T take it any
higher as this might damage the generator.

If this all works as hoped the generator will now be producing the
correct polarity and with luck will now charge correctly when all the
original leads are reconnected.

Regards

--
John Harper