[Healeys] Scuttle Shake

TRICARB at aol.com TRICARB at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 18:51:13 MDT 2007

Jon,
    I had the pleasure of discussing this phenomenon at  length with Geoff
Healey.
He says that the vibration frequency of the box frame and the interior body
panels are not the same.  They come together for a harmonic frequency at
about 55 MPH.
       Jensen spot welded the interior  body to the frame, thus it is not a
solid structure with the frame.
    The phenomenon gets worst in the later Healeys as  Jensen increased the
spacing of the spot welds to save costs.
    The solution, that I have found is to weld 1/2" x  1/2" angle iron on the
inside of the transmission opening extending the angle  iron down and welded
onto the box frame.
    This ties the inner body to the frame making it one  vibration entity.
    I have attached a photo of the installation  outlining the angle iron in
red.
        Bill  Bolton