[Healeys] Headlight Adjustment

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Thu Sep 13 19:47:02 MDT 2007

The following is how I've always set headlamps on  LHD car driving on the
right side of the road here in North America.

Many years ago my Dad went along with me to show me how to aim the headlamps
on my old '61 MGA. We went out onto a quiet straight flat stretch of country
road at night and stopped on the road in the normal lane position of travel
(making sure it was a place where there would be no other traffic). With
headlamp rings already removed and adjusters accessible, we first placed my
jacket over the left headlamp and proceeded to aim the right lamp so the
beam was about 30 ft. ahead and clearly defining the edge of the pavement
and the shoulder. I was told that this is important when having to find the
edge of the road in bad conditions such as fog, snow and so on.

Then we proceeded to cover the right lamp and aim the left. This was set
about straight ahead and much further out, about 80 ft. or so, and being
careful that it did not shine to the left to impair oncoming drivers.

This has the lamps working as a team, curbside one to always clearly light
the right edge of the road and onto the shoulder somewhat, while the left
showed up the distance.

A double check was done by checking the high beam to make sure the left
(distance) lamp still did not shine too high and be useless or too far to
the oncoming lane.

It's always worked well for me.

Rich Chrysler