[Healeys] Motor Install

linwood rose linwoodrose at mac.com
Tue Sep 11 16:27:37 MDT 2007

Well, in my 5 year restoration project I have certainly asked many
questions, but it strikes me that in the last few weeks I have asked
more questions than ever about very disparate subjects. Here is my
enquiry for the night:

If one installs the motor without the gearbox, and tightens down the
bolts on the motor mounts, do they sufficiently support the weight of
the motor so that the car can be rolled around in the garage/
workshop? Or, must one have a jack or other form of support under the
rear of the motor at all times to prevent potential twisting of the
motor mounts?

Also, I have my 2 original dowel bolts that go through the bell
housing into the backplate at 11:00 and 5:00 o'clock. Is the smooth
shank part of the bolt a tight fit into the backplate - as in tapping
with a light hammer required, or do they travel through without much
friction?

Thanks as always for assistance. Obviously, I am getting ready to
install the completely rebuilt motor which is a great feeling!!

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye