[Healeys] Throttle linkage bushes

Alan alanb at nfahc.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 11:14:06 MDT 2007

 On the other hand Ken .........
The originals on my BN4 were properly engineered oilite bushes. However they
had fallen apart in the way you describe below. The rubber bonding of the
bush to the case/housing had broken down, possibly by interaction between
the rubber compounds and the mineral oil in the bushes.  The bushes
themselves however were in excellent condition with the added benefit of
being original.

Using a tip publicised a couple of years ago on this list, I reconstructed
the bonding of the bush into the housing using black RTV goo. I should have
boiled the bushes in oil beforehand but that is a comparatively new piece of
advice to the list that I hadn't picked up at the time. RTV appears to be a
silicone based sealant and should be impervious to the oil (I hope so). The
result was a perfect recreation of the original bushes with a slight amount
of elasticity built-in (for self alignment)that would have been there in the
originals.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Teflon bushes - I used them
on my BJ8 - but the originals can be recovered to better than new.
            http://www.nfahc.co.uk
        http://www.healey-weekend.com