[Healeys] rear height

Dave Russell rusd at sitestar.net
Sun Sep 2 13:08:58 MDT 2007

Hi RJ,

A couple of questions - Did the car sit the same way before you replaced
the rear springs? Did the new springs both have the same contour/
uncompressed height before installation? Have you put some miles on the
car to get everything settled? Any binding on spring ends hardware or
the leaves being stuck together with paint  can cause problems. Driving
it over some healthy bumps for a while can help settle & free things. It
will all change as springs take a final set & bushings free a bit.

Even the front springs can cause a tilt. The usual measurment is from
the ground to lower  wheel opening lip at the wheel center line. Around
27" for all four corners on late BN1's through early BJ8's. 26" on the
front of early BN1's, & 28" on late BJ8's. This is of course assuming
that there is no actual frame/body sag from a rust weakened structure.
The BN1 went through several different rear spring configurations before
settling on the final.

You could try interchanging the two rear springs.  For comparison here
are the specs on my replacement springs. They have been installed for
three years & have "settled" about 3/8" with no indications of settling
any more:
Free length eye to eye = 34.5"
Free camber, eye C.L. to top = 4.5"
Both eyes double wrapped, seven main leaves plus end wraps.
Leaf thickness = 0.160" each
Springs marked DAUR/9661, 1B8929X, 14/10/2003, Made in UK, Moss # 021-581

It's really hard to get these cars leveled mechanically & visually.
There is no  definite measuring point since the cars were rather crudely
built.   Side to side frame height to ground near the drivers seat
location can give a rough clue. My BN2 shows about 5 1/2" on both sides.
The most visual cue is the bumpers being level with the ground. There is
quite a bit of adjustment room for the bumper end heights.

With matched springs, side to side, I ended up lowering one front spring
pan with 1/2"spacers, & slotting the bumper bracket mounting holes to
level both bumpers.  It now "looks" level  but careful measurements
would show variations in the frame/suspension heights.

Good luck to you.

Regards,
Dave Russell
BN2