[Healeys] Smog Controls

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 12:42:24 MDT 2007

In a message dated 9/1/07 11:02:56 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> We ALL know cars RAN better
> before said POS was created!!!  My 500+HP Small Block 'Camino does FAR
> better
> on smog test than wife's '06 V-6 Malibu Maxx!!  Go figure.
>
> Ed

I don't know what your small block Chevy is doing, but your data is
inaccurate. On average, the new car of today emits less than five percent of
the
pollution of a new car of fifteen years ago. The interesting corollary fact is
that
it is impossible to commit suicide with a new car's exhaust. You can pipe the
exhaust right into the closed car, and even with a full tanke of gas, it will
run out of gas well before it builds up a lethal concentration of carbon
monoxide or NOx. Due to the smog controls, the atmosphere of the major cities
is
considerably better than it was fifteen years ago.
In fact, the real problem is that the enviro-nazis are continuing to put ever
tighter restrictions on the easy target -- the person who actually gets their
car smog-tested and wouldn't drive an unlicensed car -- and are still
unwilling to do the politically difficult thing and road-side test and impound
older,
unmaintained, and illegal cars being driven by people who can't afford to buy
or maintain a new car. (In California, to do that would cripple the
agriculture and hospitality industries). Oh, and don't get me started on the
lack of
controls on heavy trucks and off-road agricultural equipment, which continue
pollute just as much as they did fifteen years ago, and now are the major
source of mobile pollution in California.
Cheers
Gary