[Healeys] choke cable adjustment

Daniel and Diane White dwhite4949 at wowway.com
Fri Oct 26 16:22:59 MDT 2007

Hello Listers,
I was reading in the list archives about choke return springs and in one
message Alan Seigrist wrote-

> 1) Choke return springs are not original because the choke, in theory, is
> supposed to reset from the force of the carb jet return spring (internal in
> the carb).  In reality, however, this will rarely work unless everything is
> new and in perfect working order... so it is very common for people to add a
> choke return spring on BJ8s.  I have rebuilt carbs and everything is new...
> and I still use a choke return spring.  Better that than wasting fuel and
> contributing unnecessarily to global warming.

I have a BN7 MkII  with HS4's and when I pull the choke knob all the way
out I get travel on the cam to increase the rpm's but not enough travel
to pull the jet tubes down thus making the mixture more rich.  With the
knob fully in, the fast idle adjustment screws are backed off just clear
of the cam.   What am I doing wrong that's not allowing the jet tubes to
pull down with the choke fully out?   Any thoughts on how I can correct
this?  The other question is how (if it's at all possible) can I install
choke return springs on my carbs?