[Healeys] Subject: Re: FW: Computer Virus - CNN confirms and Snopes too

bighealey at charter.net bighealey at charter.net
Wed Oct 24 11:25:39 MDT 2007

John,

One major downfall with many virus and spam blocker type software packages is email loss.

In other words you receive an email and the over zealous software blocks WANTED email.  Although it is advertised to block UNwanted emails.

This is especially true of some Internet providers bundled anti-spam gateways which block but do not notify the intended recipient that his mail has been censored, quarantined or deleted. (Ever wonder where that email went?)

The art of detecting what is and what is not a virus or spam is a black art at best.

Security is, and will always be, a trade off between usability and risk mitigation.

Tracy (CISSP and amateur wrench)