[Healeys] OD Problem

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Oct 22 18:11:57 MDT 2007

Hi, Len -
Sounds like the overdrive relay to me.  When you first turn on the dash
switch, you energize the relay.  If the relay is working normally, power is
then supplied to the overdrive solenoid from the relay and the throttle
switch then provides the circuit to keep power to the solenoid regardless of
the position of the dash switch until you step on the gas.  If the relay is
not working, then you are getting power to the overdrive solenoid only
through the throttle switch as long as the dash switch is on.  Turning off
the dash switch will immediately de-energize the relay, or stepping on the
gas to open the throttle switch contacts.  The result is the overdrive
dropping out.
Must be a rash of failing relays out there.  I've just received a new one
from Moss to replace mine.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry