[Healeys] spin on oil filter with no oil in it upon removal

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 07:22:06 MDT 2007

OK guys, I have another problem,
Yesterday when I had to remove my starter for nonfunctioning I found that I
had to drop the oil, remove the oil filter, and remove the distributor to get
the clearance needed to pull the starter up and out.  Nobody explained that to
me when I purchased the spin on adapter but I shouldn't have to remove the
starter very often.  Anyway, the real problem is that when I removed the oil
filter there was no oil in it, not a drop.  This is a freshly rebuilt bj8
engine with about 160 miles on it.  The oil pump is working and I have oil
pressure, although I think it is a little low for a fresh engine (55 when cold
and 20-25 when hot driving, just below 20 when idle hot).

What could be the problem?  I will check today for blocked holes in the spin
on adapter because of the gasket (adapter to block).  I guess there is a
pressure relief valve and spring in the block on the right side that may have
something to do with bypassing the oil filter but I'm not sure where it is or
how it works.  I will read the shop manual for a guide but I don't remember
that there was a whole lot about the valve in it.  I'd like to get this worked
out while the starter is being fixed today and when it all goes back together
everything will be ready.

Oh, the oil filter on the car was a Unipart #GFE 22, I bought an AC/Delco to
replace it.  The Unipart filter feels much heavier than the AC/Delco.
Although no oil came out of the old filter could there be oil trapped in it
making it heavier or is there really that much difference in the weight of
different filters.  I mean there was not even a trace of oil on the inside
wall of the old filter.  Thanks for any suggestions.  Well I just got a call
from the starter repair guy and he said the starter just had something wrong
with the faces of the (+) brushes.  He refaced them and it is ready to go.  I
really need those suggestions now because I want to be driving by this
afternoon.

George Haywood
'65 bj8