[Healeys] GEARBOX / HYDRAULICS - WHICH IS IT?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Oct 7 08:06:09 MDT 2007

Scott,

re:
"The box in my BJ7 is crunching slightly in each of the gears when hot.
The clutch feels
spongy underfoot. The o/d was out recently and the clutch was checked
and is in good
nick. I had the clutch bled this week which has improved feel a bit and
reduced the
crunching a little. I was told that the issue may be the master or slave
cylinder on their way out."

Sure sounds like it.  One way to check would be to assess the travel on
the push rod on the
slave cylinder.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find a spec for the desired
travel in my shop manual--
maybe another lister knows the nominal value?

Have someone work the clutch whilst you watch the fluid level in the
reservoir--if the fluid
rises (or bubbles) when the clutch pedal is pressed a master cyl rebuild
is in order (the small
seal that closes the opening to the reservoir is shot).  If the cyl
walls look good, a seal kit
should do it.

One other possibility is a weak flex line to the slave cylinder.  If you
do end up redoing the
hydraulics, I'd rebuild/replace the master and slave--unless one or the
other is new or you're
sure it's good--and replace the flex line.  Then, you shouldn't have to
worry about it for quite
awhile.

bs

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell at comcast.net