[Healeys] Wheels

sbyers at ec.rr.com sbyers at ec.rr.com
Fri Oct 5 08:39:01 MDT 2007

Hi, Edward -
I would have to disagree with anyone who claims that the number of spokes has anything to do with "shaking".  If your car is shaking, it's because the wheels and/or tires are out of round and balance.  Even if you purchase new 72 spoke wheels, they are likely to need to be trued and adjusted or you will have the same vibration problem.
I suggest that if your wheels are in reasonably good shape (not severely rusted, no broken or missing spokes), you should have Allen Hendrix at Hendrix Wire Wheel do his magic on them (http://www.hendrixwirewheel.com).  You will be amazed at the difference.  If you need new wheels, Hendrix can supply them.

I have had 60-spoke Dayton chrome wire wheels from BWW on my BJ8 since 1990 and 70,000 miles.  I have never had a broken spoke, and no vibration problems since Hendrix did his thing on them.  I have him check and true the wheel each time I replace a tire, as well as shaving the tire to round.

BWW was about the only game in town when I bought my wheels, but now that Hendrix is available his outstanding customer service is what has kept me coming back to him.  He once sent me a brand new chrome wheel with a new tire mounted and balanced at no charge up front, since I needed it in a hurry and there was no time to send him my wheel.  When I took it back to him, he just put the tire on my wheel and didn't charge anything for the use of his new wheel for a thousand miles.  Quite a contrast with some suppliers, huh?

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA