[Healeys] VIN plate

Kenny J theswed at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 19:26:25 MST 2007

Alan,

The DMV doesn't do the VIN verifications, they are referred to the CHP.  Since
I am one of the folks that do the VIN verifications for the CHP and has
trained many of the other NorCal officers, I have seen what happens behind the
scenes (ask David Nock).

Most of us are trying to restore our cars for many reasons and are not out
there to defraud.  However, I hate to see people make the mistake of even
taking the VIN plate off for any reason (i.e. to paint the chassis). The mere
evidence of a VIN plate screw or rivet being loosened and/or removed can get
your car impounded.  Luckily for us Healey owners, a Healey VIN plate is
installed using screws.  The plate can be removed/replaced on the car fairly
easily without detection.  However, when I see a new VIN plate on any classic
car, it gets checked and rechecked.  Most VIN officers have a reference book
of VINs that have been used by nearly every manufacturer throughout the years.
Also, many manufacturers (even back in the day) had several unique identifiers
that cannot be reproduced exactly as original.  As classic car values continue
to climb rapidly, many people are out there building counterfeit cars. From
Model T's to Shelbys, we have seen massive amounts of antique cars in the last
few years.  We are coming across many cars that are purchased by an innocent
victim that have been tampered with. They can lose their car and their money.

I can't speak for other states, but CA takes this issue extremely seriously.

Kenny
61 BT-7

The way the Bay Area papers are talking about the next (100 yr) big one, I
might be in the market for the land under the GGate. it should be a nice
beachfront property soon :-)