[Healeys] How do I get the steering wheel off

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Tue Nov 27 08:25:24 MST 2007

Hi Todd,
Put the nut back on but loosen it a couple of turns from tight.
Position yourself in the seat, perhaps with a couple of blocks of wood under
your feet for purchase, such that your upper legs are pushing up on the back
side of steering wheel from below..i.e. pushing it off.
Place a large soft brass or aluminium drift on the end of the shaft then
using a large hammer hit the drift. You shouldn't have to hit it too hard to
release the wheel. Hitting too hard can damage the steering gears or shaft
so be a little careful.
Leaving the nut on the shaft during this process tends to minimize the
dental bills...

Michael Salter
100 (1953)
AHX12 (1953)