[Healeys] Engine Install

Leonard Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 19 21:35:47 MST 2007

I have removed the transmission through the cockpit a couple of times.  I
swore that I would never do it again.

Removal for me was a relatively easy process.  Getting it back in is the
problem.  Maybe it is just my Healey but I found that while the transmission
was out of the car, the hole in the firewall shrunk.  The transmission now
seemed too big to go through the hole and mate up with the engine.  My hands
had difficulty getting the bolts back in the holes and the nuts threaded on
the bolts.  Laying or squatting on the floor of the car under the dash board
didn't do my ribs and legs any favors, either.  And if you don't get
everything lined up perfectly, you run the risk of breaking the bronze
bushing in the end of the crankshaft which you won't discover until the next
time you separate the two.

All of these problems are eliminated if you remove and install the engine
and transmission/OD as a unit.

Just my personal experience.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville,  California,  USA