[Healeys] fuel gallon marks by observation

Healey Bruce healeybruce at roadrunner.com
Mon Nov 12 18:59:07 MST 2007

Steve, you may recall you sent me your dimensions, but I found they didn't
jibe with my experience, either.  First, I also cut the base of my stick at
about a 70 degree angle, which I determined with 1 gal in the tank and
observing the angle, so it would sit flat on the bottom of the tank. Then I
added fuel 1 gal at a time with the tank in the car and sitting level in my
garage.  I inserted the stick and marked at the level shown, with each mark
parallel to the base.  I wanted to take my readings as they would be filling
up at the pump.  My increments are:

Gallons    Measurement
2                1 3/8"
4                2 1/4"
6                3 1/16"
8                3 13/16"
10              4 15/16"
12              5 7/16"

I agree with Steve--no way 14.4 gallons fits in the tank.  12 gal is already
coming up the neck.  Maybe some air is trapped in the back of the tank in my
method, accounting for some variation, but that wouldn't account for the
differnence at the low end.  Anyway, that's what happened with my method.
FWIW, my stick agrees closely with my gauge once I get below 3/4 full; with
fuel up the neck, my gauge reads just a bit above 3/4.

Bruce Steele
1960 BN7
Brea, CA