[Healeys] Two-tone Paint

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Fri Nov 9 12:56:44 MST 2007

I'm restoring my 100M to as close to original as possible.  I'm at the point
of paint and will be using a single stage.  The car will be painted OE White
and Black  (white being the main color with black being the lower body
color).
My question is:  Should the car be painted white and then have black applied
over the top (a slight ridge will exist at the black-white interphase)...I
want to do it like it was done originally.

Thank you,

Joel
100M

Joel,
When the cars were painted in the two-tone 100M color scheme, the second
("cove" color) was added after the car was fully painted, and often was
painted by
the dealer. Consequently, if you wanted to do it "as it was done originally"
you would paint the whole car, then mask off the top and spray the cove, which
would allow you to feel the ridge as you stroke down across the feature line.
However, most painters will tell you that the break will be less perceptible
if you paint the cove first, then mask it and paint the remainder of the doors
and fenders in the main body color.
Incidentally, because of the variety of places these cars were painted, we've
never been able to say whether the break show be at the top or bottom of the
feature line, but most folks paint it with the break at the bottom of the
feature line.
Good luck,
Gary