[Healeys] Painting and fitting body panels

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 20:52:02 MST 2007

Ken, My vote would be to final paint after assembly of the external panels is
complete.  You can then loosen the fender fasteners and slip in the beading.
Overspray can be avoided by a meticulous back taping/papering the engine
compartment, doorways, boot opening, lights and grill openings, etc., and
taping a squirt around the bottom to the floor to protect the chassis.
Attached are some pictures of our tape job, hope they help.  I have read
somewhere, I think Larry Varley's 100 restoration site, that he suggested
painting after assembly due to some problems he ran in to by painting first
and then assembling the fenders and shrouds.  Check out his web site page 22--
it's very good.

Good luck,

George
'65 bj8

Ken Wignal writes:  "we are trying to decide whether to final paint the outer
sides of the panels prior to assembly or> after fitting them."

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg]