[Healeys] gearbox woes -- follow up

John Rowe jarowe at westnet.com.au
Tue Nov 6 06:43:25 MST 2007

Hi Guys

Another thanks to the list for all who responded re my pieces of bronze in the
overdrive filter.

The problem was the bronze thrust washer(s) in the overdrive. They originally
have small radial grooves cut into them and in my case a few of the segments
created by the grooves decided they had had enough and dropped off. All that
high speed changing into and outof overdrive in competition mode had its
toll.

The solution was a partial rebuild but what the heck, if you've got it apart
you should do the complete job.

Replaced the thrust washers, the gearbox synchros and surprisingly the first
gear inner gear was the worse for wear. All that changing into first gear at
speed up the windy bits. Obviously my double declutch technique into first
gear need to be improved.

Used Redline MT oil in the box and it seems a lot smoother but that could be
the new synchro rings. I will do a follow up after the Classic Adelaide
Rally.

cheers from west oz

John Rowe
Perth