[Healeys] bringing back the dead

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 10:19:53 MST 2007

Are you getting fuel to the carbs? (New fuel pumps are fine, but if, say, an
inline filter is full of crud then where are you?)

Or are your carbs' filters blocked up? Or your carbs u/s? (Unlikely in the
extreme, I'd have thought).

If you try starting it and then pull a plug at once, is that plug wet or
dry?

Is your fuel the stuff that was in the tank when you last ran the car??

You've got a spark, but not a great one....per my last email, are you sure
the points are set right?

Re the 180 degree out, I quote:-
" You probably have the shaft in the dist turned 180. If you take off the
rotor you will find a screw inside the top of the shaft. Unscrew that one
after removing the timing plate. Then you can lift the upper half of the
shaft and reposition it 180 from where it were, while taking care to refit
the springs and advance weights correctly.
Magnus Karlsson
SWEDEN"
Magnus knows what he's on about.

Re rotor arms, they do give up. Some repros(?) are useless. But I doubt
yours, being old, is a dud repro and, if it worked when you laid the car up,
it should work now.

Are you sure you have the HT leads set up correctly....the right ones going
to the right place?

Do you have a short in the distributor with the infamous "little black
wire", the one that usually looks a frayed old boot lace?

I suppose your starter is up to scratch? Needs to be fairly gutsy if the
engine's a bit reluctant/off tune.

Are your chokes connected and working?

Have fun!

Simon.